Saturday, March 28, 2009

Filial Piety

Music: 萧闳仁- 我沒有錯 Mood: full

"You sure you don't want to follow?" Mum asked for the third time in a week, in the car on our way back from work.

"No. Pin will be coming over in the afternoon." I repeated the answer for the third time, with my eyes closed.

It's Qing Ming festival this weekend. It's also the time of the year my parents will dutifully clean up grandparents' tombs in Ipoh, unfailingly each year; whereas my last recollection of going there was nearly 8 or 9 years ago. Relatives who are still paying their respects are getting lesser and lesser each year.

"who's going this time?"

"Only 大伯父,大伯母 (my dad's brother and his wife) and us."

"It's never easy getting to their tombs. The grasses along the way grew longer, so it's getting more and more difficult to get there each year since there are lesser people visiting there now," She paused and continued, "Both of you couldn't even recognize the way, not even your cousins who stays near here. They are not going back this time either," She paused again.

"Sooner or later, me and pa are going to be too old to drive there, so no one will be visiting poh poh and ah gong anymore."

I kept quiet.

"Next time, just burn our bodies and throw it into the sea, save all the fuss to visit or clean our tombs every year, "She hinted.

"I'll come along next year." I blurted out suddenly.

She drove slowly on the congested road. The radio continues to play its music, but there's an uncomfortable silence in the car. I slowly opened my eyes and stole a look at her- I just saw her mopping a trickle of tear off her right cheek.

It just so happened to be drizzling outside and this struck me- 清明时节雨纷纷,路上行人欲断魂。It means the drizzling rain during Qing Ming festival represents family members' dismal feelings for their loved ones. Indirectly, it's filial piety.

I promise I'll go next year.

6 comments:

shee said...

It's ok to feel that way babe. As long as you have the intention to go next year i.e. you are making the effort to make a difference for that particular reason.

I think i started following my parents to my grandpa & great-grandma's tombs about 10 years ago. On the 1st year, grandma was with us, until she hurt her knee and her leg was "balut-ed" so she couldn't walk around much. So, 2nd year onwards, it was my parents, me and my elder sis.

Last year, we decided to "move" my great-grandma's house to a columinium in Nilai Memorial Park. What happen was her original home was "destroyed" by a big tree that use to be very shady behind her grave.

So, despite my back injury, I believe i can still go this year coz my sis wont be following as she's preggie and my parents cant do it alone.

My point here is, as long as you want to have the effort to do it - it's better than none.

So, i'm proud of you that you want to go along next year. Sometimes although our names arent carved on the stone, but its all in the heart if we want to do it for them (our ancestors).

shee said...

oh ya..my sis read in the papers to day that for Celcom pre-paid holders, they can get discount off the RM198 seats. You think you're up for it?

tomorrow, the Galaxy's office in MV is not opened, but you can try your luck.

apparently u r right - my sis said newspapers said the tickets are also available at Sg Wang too. argh. y those ppl working for Galaxy and Axcess ticketing always give wrong info to ppl.

~angelkit~ said...

Aiks, I'm no Celcom user, and I won't be in MV on Sunday either >.< We'll just settle with the RM138 seats... but i'm so worried it's gonna sell off anytime soon~!

Anonymous said...

next year? worry u will say same thing next year...ur mom cry? sure cry lo...ci liao bi...

Pin said...

I even worse, don't know since when I didn't go to sau mu.

Then next year you go lo. I think as long as you got the good intention in your heart then it's OK la. As long as there's someone will go and clean up the place then it's fine.

~angelkit~ said...

i feel bad for not going, really. I better block my calendar like I did for other holidays early next year!